The names of well-known Stralau families can be found on both the street signs of the Stralau peninsula and the cemetery’s tombstones, such as those of local politicians Louis Kracht (1865–1928) and Julius Tübbecke (1824–1911). The first pastor of the Stralau congregation, Robert Zastrow (1877–1932), who held the post for 25 years, is buried here, as well as the children’s book author Fred Rodrian (1926–1985) and the cartoonist Manfred Bofinger (1941–2006). The oldest remaining tombstone in the churchyard is located near the northern wall of the church: It was here that Charlotte Dorothee Nusch, née Lanz (1749–1795), from one of the wealthy, land-owning families of Stralau, was laid to rest. Many of those who drowned or committed suicide in the River Spree or in Lake Rummelsburg have also been buried next to the town church of Stralau. The cemetery’s neo-Gothic chapel, built in 1912, overlooks the River Spree. It is used for funerals and includes a viewing area for attendees who wish to bid farewell to the departed.
West of the cemetery’s entrance is a war memorial, erected in 1929. The expressionist monument, made from red brick, commemorates on three plaques the 132 Stralau men counted as fallen or missing in the First World War. As of 1995, the cemetery, its chapel, and its “garden memorial” to the war are protected historical sites. In 1997 the cemetery was renovated and expanded to include a grove for urn burials. Its spot on the River Spree, its old trees – elms, oaks, and linden – and a maple-lined promenade along the riverbank make the churchyard a place of calm in the middle of a bustling metropolis.